So with this journey I have learned the ins and outs. The how’s and how not too. The face palm, the hiding in my little corner while I cower in fear and the pat on the back-“ok ok I am not drowning yet” But in everything I have learned I would not have suspected to do something by mistake– at least not a good one. Its like sleep walking in the middle of the night, cleaning the house, playing the lottery, winning and then solving world peace- all while sleep walking… OK SO NOT THAT DRAMATIC OR INTENSE…
So now that I’ve brought the overly extensive drama to the table – my issue was I guess I have succeeded to start a book tour and I didn’t realize it… Now I only have one so far but I’m in talks with more and next year I will be going to certain states and then in 2021 it will be the 2 book conventions I will be attending. Now with all the planning and excitement and anxiety I have to still clean the house, maintain a full time job, make calls, put up flyers..
But isn’t that the list of most self published authors struggling to make a buck and get their name out. I am definitely not the only one I just feel like I am the person who is doing the mistakes so someone else doesn’t.
So checklist so far……
1. Want to be a writer- meaning working twice as hard for something that wont make a pretty decent living. People asking about your book and having a hard time describing it because there are layers DAMN IT. Finding time that you are already don’t have to write maybe an hour without distractions.
2. deciding to self publish… which means already getting the no’s, the tears and frustration of am I good enough. (its important to have a supportive someone)
3. edit edit and edit some more- and at some point, you have to stop— check to make sure the ….their, there, where and were and much more are on point. Keep names straight with stories.
4. self publish the work with a website that you have heard good reviews about. I am sure this part I am still not the expert on. My decision was to use something that everyone is familiar with. Amazon.
5. Make sure that you look over the finished product first– get a test copy first and read through it. This part was missed sadly and I had to remove and resubmit many times and so this part is so very important.
8 and a billion more are about advertising and getting the word out. Libraries, book stores, businesses, friends, coworkers. Putting in the man hours to put flyers up. Most of the book stores want emails about what you are, and what you would like.
Since I am in this stage and building full speed, I am not going to go any further but its a lot of money and time and steps and pride set aside and calling. The most important advice that I can give is:
Don’t assume that the people in your life will buy the book or support you. There will be people that will stand behind you but some people will surprise you and not buy the book. Don’t take it personal…..
As long as you have the one person who supports you the best way that they can then that’s good.. The other advice I would suggest is buy local.
So for right now, until I get to a decent ending I will hope this helps someone.